Monday, June 11, 2012

Sprucing Up The Ordinary


Above is a shot of our otherwise ordinary, but whimsied up storage building. This building is an extension of our home, and like our home we decorate it in accordant with the seasons/holiday's. Nestled in the trees away from view, it's black and white exterior was anything but cheerful, a problem quickly remedied with some pops of color.


We took down the previous "door ornaments", and after a fruitless craft store search, found these metal butterflies at Family Dollar. Not only were they cheap, they matched the color scheme perfectly! 


Since this building is in the shade, I planted shade-loving (purple) impatiens in the flower boxes/baskets. We found these unfinished mini-birdhouses in the dollar bin at Michael's. I painted them using shades of blue and white to coordinate with the butterflies on the door. I attached them to dowels using hot glue and stuck one in each basket.


This last piece is based on this tutorial. At first I wanted a windchime for this space, but never found one I couldn't pass up. When I saw the tutorial for this mobile I couldn't wait to make one! It was a quick, and inexpensive project that adds just the right touch.

Do you add special touches to the various sheds/buildings on your property?

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Nothing like colorful butterflies! I'm so excited to have stumbled across your blog via a comment you left on Bleubird! Happy to have found a new blog to follow.

    Kacie
    http://www.acollectionofpassions.com/

    ReplyDelete