Thursday, September 16, 2010

I Won A Ribbon (And $2.00)

Source
One of my favorite childhood memories is that one week in late summer when the fair would come to town. My family lives in a very rural area, and the fair was a pretty big deal. I remember being a child in the back seat of the family car, making the trip to town to drive by the fair the night it opened. The bright lights of the rides glowing in the night sky, stirring up quite the feeling of anticipation and excitement in my little kid self.

Not only did we go to ride the rides, savor in some tooth-rotting cotton candy, or on occasion sashay our little selves across the pagent stage, we would also enter items in the exhibit barns. It was quite fun deciding on what flowers, vegetables, and/or craft projects to enter. Zinnia's, Marigolds, and fuzzy poster's usually being my items of choice.

As children do, my sister and I grew up and life got busy. The fair lost it's luster, and we stopped entering things into the exhibit barns, sans this year. This year I decided I was going to try my luck, and enter a couple of pictures I had taken just to see how I would do. First of all, I must tell you that I am not a photographer. I'm just a girl with a camera who likes taking pictures of random things.

Here are the two pictures I entered:



Neither was framed elaborately (the frames actually came from the dollar store), nor were they professionally developed ( unless you consider those print-it-out-yourself machines at Rite Aid professional). However, that didn't deter me in the least. I was proud of them, and I hoped the judges would like them as well. Evidently, the judges saw something they liked, because my photograph of the lizard won third place, and $2.00 in prize money!

I would love to hear about your favorite childhood memory, so feel free to share!

1 comment:

  1. Well congrats on your winning entries!

    And, what a great childhood memory. Hmmm...a favorite childhood memory...hard to pick just one, and a short one at that, so I'm going to say coming home to the smell of my mom's fabulous baking!

    ReplyDelete